Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving - Things to be grateful for

Well. I got started last night, after realizing I'd be tired half the day today and probably wear myself out if I tried to do it all. Somehow, I managed to get my Pumpkin Cheesecake in the oven and cooling, my stuffing done (via microwave, to minimize on dishes, lol) my marinade ready, and now I just have to cook the "Turky" (Quorn, a vegetarian brand) and make my mashed potatoes & gravy :) Oh, and microwave some veggies & open the cranberry sauce! Woo!

I'm really glad I did it that way, because for some reason I only got five hours sleep, and have woken up with a grumbly tummy. Not hungry grumbly, more like infection is having a party in here grumbly. Not surprising I guess, since I spent most of yesterday fighting off nausea and general stomach yuckiness. Oh well, I will whip out my arsenal and make it settle down by dinner time, it will not keep me away from my Thanksgiving Dinner darnit!

So what am I grateful for this year? A lot surprisingly. For one, I'm thankful to be in the comfort of my own home for once, and to have my entire arsenal for stomach upset, pain, etc. at my disposal, and to not have to wear myself out more packing & driving & trying to cook in a foreign kitchen and find a place to lie down or worry about what anyone thinks. It's definitely enough to make up for spending it alone, surprisingly. It's been a tumultuous few months, and a marathon of doctor's appointments lately, so I'm grateful that's over & I made it through!

I'm grateful to have a place to enjoy the comforts of home in, because I know everyone is not so lucky, and I don't know what the future will bring.

I'm grateful that I'm not having Tachycardia today so far, and haven't had any bad, bad attacks lately, with the breathlessness & chest crushing or neck coking sensations, or any of that especially nasty stuff.

I'm grateful that I managed to get a nice little Thanksgiving meal together for myself, sweet potato casserole-less, but I've got PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE, so that's okay!

I'm grateful that I'm getting sleepy and after I write this I am free to go back to sleep and stay that way all day if I darn well please.

I'm grateful for the doctors that do their best to help me manage my conditions, and to live in this country with as many resources we have for those in need, because I know it could be much worse!

I"m grateful for my recliner and the gorgeous view out the window from it, and for free cable TV, and cheap Internet, and all the gadgets it allows me to use! (Ha! Couldn't pay my cell phone bill this month, but imagine my delight to find out the Wifi still connects me to all my apps on it so I can periodically check things even when the pain of being on a computer is too much and keep myself entertained and connected to the outside world!

I am really grateful I live in California and not some cold snowy place that would make my body ache, and that I have a temperature-controlled environment to keep my body thermostat issues at bay.

I'm grateful for my car, even though it's giving me signs it's ready for some work, and for the guys who pushed it to the gas station the other day when I ran out of gas because the gas light never went on.

I'm grateful for all the special people in my life, loved ones, near & far, and the memories we share.

I'm grateful for the new people I have met lately who have brought a little joy & normalcy back into my life.

I'm grateful that I've found so many things to be grateful for, because I wasn't feeling it just a few days ago!

Last but not least, I am grateful for this bed I'm about to sink back into and hopefully get some delicious sleep in!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, and if you have POTS, try not to overeat, and if you do, may you have a comfy place to rest and minimal discomfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input, input! Tell me what you think!