Monday, September 28, 2009

Mystery Diagnosis Dysautonomia Episode: The Woman Who Kept Falling Down

Talked to my brother tonight, and he told me he saw this episode of Mystery Diagnosis on the Discovery Channel over the weekend, about this lady with neurological disorder, and her symptoms sounded like mine.

(Ironically, I was lying down in my car in a store parking lot at the time, because I've been sick the past week or so, and just running a couple of errands was threatening to set off a POTS flare, was sweating, weak, shaky, and seeing spots, and having slightly funky heart rhythms.)

I learned something new from his telling me about the show, actually. Funny, because just this weekend when it was acting up, I was telling my Dad how I felt like someone had their finger on my carotid artery. My brother started saying how the woman on the show said she "felt like her neck..."and I interrupted him and said "had a finger on her carotid artery!?" And he said

"Yeah!"

I hadn't known that was a common thing until then!

So anyways, that was cool to get to talk with him about that. Now if only I could be as lucky as that lady and find a doctor who will help me get it under control.

Actually, I may have...I went to see an old doctor of mine, a really fabulous man who is a holistic doctor with an M.D.. (The only reason I haven't seen him continually is that I haven't been able to afford long-term treatment with him.)
He thinks the key lies in my adrenals, and I tend to agree...I had another holistic practitioner who helped me at my sickest treat me for that too...So maybe in me that's what triggers it. The adrenal is a very tricky thing, because for some reason most of the medical community doesn't believe in adrenal dysfunction other than complete failure (Addison's Disease.)

He had me do a Saliva Cortisol test, and also ran another Thyroid panel, since my T4 came up low. (It's my understanding that adrenal problems would in turn affect my Thyroid, so...)

I have an phone appointment with him tomorrow afternoon to go over the results, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll have some confirmation of all that, as well as tangible PROOF for the SSA that I am as sick as I say I am. So wish me luck!

Here's the show schedule for the Episode of Mystery Diagnosis. It's on tonight (2am here in the Pacific Time Zone) as well as again on October 3rd. Spread the word!

Discovery Health :: TV Listings :: Mystery Diagnosis

Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input, input! Tell me what you think!