Friday, July 13, 2012

Hand, Foot, & Mouth...& Diabetes?

Okay, will try and keep this short, because I think I feel that fever coming back again. It really doesn't like me being on the computer!

Well, like any 21st Century sickie, the Internet is my friend. And looking at my diseased looking legs, I really wanted to know more. I've looked up the Enteroviruses before of course, and Coxsackie B4 in particular, but I wanted to find a rash exactly like mine, and my memory sucks, so I wanted to refresh it on Coxsackie B4 and did some digging. Here's what I found:

This is a story about the children dying in Vietnam that has been on the news lately. I stumbled on it doing an image search. While the strain they're talking about seems to be Coxsackie A, I did read that Coxsackie B can cause the same thing, Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease, and they do mention it:

http://fifthcolumnnz.blogspot.com/2011/06/virus-outbreak-veitnam.html#links

The baby's foot (in the photo on above link) looks just like mine, I even have spots on the bottom now. And incidentally, I found out that it can be Hand, Foot, & Mouth w/o the sores in the mouth, but I did actually realize I do have a couple ulcerated spots in my mouth, I noticed because one, on the inside of my right cheek, has been there nearly two weeks, and I kept trying to get the Food-grade Hydrogen Peroxide/Aloe liquid I've been drinking on it to get rid of it, to no avail. (Usually that wipes out anything like that, overnight!) So that was kind of cool. Although, not because it's the kind of thing that makes a little voice in me say, HELP! Make it stop! But because it's visible. And I shouldn't have it (most people get it as children, and it doesn't become chronic) and basically, I JUST WISH SOMEONE WOULD FIX ME! :)

Then I found this, which I'd NEVER heard of and didn't like at all, especially since I had already concluded that some weird/different/new sharp pains I'd been having were my pancreas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie_B4_virus

Yup. Apparently it has been found that Coxsackie B4
"can trigger an autoimmune reaction which results in destruction of the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas, which is one of several different etiologies of diabetes mellitus.
An absolute deficiency of insulin renders the person a type 1 diabetic."

Ahhh! I'd heard rumors that Diabetes was caused by a virus, I just had no idea it was MY virus! (Or rather, one of my viruses. If memory serves well, I have another strain of Coxsackie B and 1-2 of Echovirus as well.) I didn't even know Type 1 Diabetes could be acquired, I thought you were born with it . The more I learn, the more I wish the SSA were a person I could shake and say, "NOW DO YOU BELIEVE THIS IS SERIOUS?" Oh well. I absolutely refuse to get diabetes, but I do think I will start putting together an information packet myself to refute all their obnoxious little digs, suppositions, and false conclusions. (Say like, how my primary treating doctor is a published, respected researcher who is trying to make me better even if it's with alternative medicine because no FDA-approved medicine exists; my lawyer already said that wasn't kosher that they dismissed his input because they have to give treating physicians findings a certain amount of prevailing weight and they didn't.) Maybe I'll send them pictures of my pretty red dotted limbs and see if it helps. Even if they aren't that serious (usually at least) maybe they'll get a better reaction than my pile of medical records. I know they creep me out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Input, input! Tell me what you think!