Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Frustrated and tired, but hopeful

I've only been up a couple of hours, but my fingers & toes are icy, and my feet have been tingling like crazy. Soon, if I don't get off of this Desktop PC (laptop is unavailable to me at the moment) I'll probably get that creepy feeling like someone is pouring cold water down my scalp. Ickh.

I woke up too early (not as in, like 5 am, but rather early as in, I need 8-9 hours of sleep to be ok, and I got 5-6) for some reason my mind running off on a tangent of suddenly decided to analyze unprocessed information that led me to the conclusion that my Physical Therapist thinks I'm neurotic. I was too out of it to realize it yesterday, but after trying to explain/apologize to her about being late because my state of being suddenly took a nose-dive, I didn't feel like I could drive safely, and I had to persuade and wait for my Dad to get ready and bring me, she asked me if I was seeing a shrink!

"You know, that's known to be a component of that, so it helps". (!?!)

At the time I was taken off guard, happy just to have made it there for my last appointment, and instead of asking her to clarify whether she meant that depression usually becomes a factor in ALL chronic illnesses, or if she was under the mistaken impression that Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and POTS were all psychological in nature, I told her that the county health insurance "safety net" program I receive doesn't cover mental health. (!)

So annoyed with myself now. And a bit, with her. But more with myself because I could have educated her. Or because I had to? I don't know, lots of mixed feelings. I hate that people are so judgemental. They assume just because I'm capable of getting dressed and putting on makeup and smiling, that I must not be THAT sick?
But then, it's a crazy world, you really can't take people's word for anything these days, so you're almost forced to make a judgement on what evidence you can see...I know I used to, so I can relate. But it still sucks being me, having to cope with stuff like begging my Dad to drive me to an appointment at the last minute because I suddenly feel so exhausted and achy I can't think straight. (Seriously, last time I felt like that, I went anyways, ended up missing the freeway onramp, couldn't decide what detour to take to get back to it, and ended up having to pull over into a parking lot to try and decide what to do, which ended up being to NOT burst into tears of frustration at my lack of brain function and energy, be nice to myself, cancel the appointment, and go home to lie down and not demand anything of myself until I recovered.

Still it makes me so mad though, that Cognitive Dysfunction is SUCH a major symptom of these disorders and even healthcare practitioners know nothing about it.

I've had neurologists and psychiatrists tell me it's Depression, even though research clearly shows the central nervous system is affected, and umm, obviously in the case of POTS & Orthostatic Hypotension, if you're not getting enough blood to the head, that's not going to result in optimum brain function, now is it?

But so is the case with SO MANY of the symptoms of these diseases/illnesses/syndromes, whatever you want to call them. After almost 10 years of research I KNOW for a fact that it's not just me, most others with these illnesses have the same symptoms, what's more, they have been verified by actual, scientific testing...yet only a handful of doctors seem to know this.

(SPECT scans showing blood circulation and brain function for example, studies comparing and equating the Cognitive Dysfunction of CFS with that of Multple Scelerosis...)

But yeah, it's hard not to feel like a nut sometimes with these illnesses. They affect one in such dark insidious ways, affecting how you think, interact with people, socialize...I actually keep to myself these days, because I just don't have the brain power. Just trying to have a conversation with my Mother's neighbor while her kids are running around completely overwhelms me. (Doesn't help that she interrupts herself and me all throughout! lol!) It causes me to do stuff like forget to be polite (thanking someone for dinner & the like, stuff that was second nature to me before I got sick) failing to realize I might return a complement, or that I have spent the entire conversation talking about myself (or alternately not being able to hold onto a thought long enough while someone is talking to have anything to say by the time they're done!) sometimes makes me feel like there's not much of who I was left...but I still hold hope I will get better and then happily quit being auch a hermit and be able to properly interact with people again!

Well, I'm off. Have to go rest up to take my beloved 15-year old cat who can't seem to eat to the vet. Having my feet NOT going numb would help, as would not having to worry about whether I can hold onto her if my Orthostatic Hypotension acts up and I have to grab something in an effort to stay on my feet when I have one of my near-syncope spells...Fun times! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input, input! Tell me what you think!