Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beautiful Essay About a Father's Faith in His Daughter

I was really bored tonight, and I ended up on one of my little Google research journeys. I decided I randomly decided I wanted to know the exact definition of "high risk pregnancy". Once I found that out, I wanted to know if people with CFS/ME or FM are considered this. I found a thread on a parenting board about pregnancies of women with CFS/ME, which pretty much just confirmed my suspicions that if I wanted to do it, I could, but I would most definitely need help, lots of help to be succesful. Boo-hoo. I got a little sad, but then I realized 1. This wasn't news. and 2. My Mom still hadn't gone through menopause at 50, so I presumably have plenty of time. (Provided the Endometriosis doesn't interfere with my fertility and the Adenomyosis cause a miscarriage, ayayay. Adoption keeps looking good.)

Then I somehow ended up following someone's advice to Google a phrase because one of the sites mentioned piqued my curiosity, and I stumbled onto this little page, very simple, HTML markup; so simple I could write it by hand, last updated in the year 2000. Still, it contains a wealth of information and advice, and I highly recommend it.

Here it is:

Visiting the Emerson Girls

I was so touched by the essay, that I had to try and write an e-mail to thank the author, father of a girl (now probably a young woman) with CFS, because it was really a wonderful essay. Not only was it beautiful to see a father understand his daughter's plight so completely and put it into words so well, but it was pretty interesting, too, since the "Emerson Girls" mentioned in the title and essay are in fact, Ralph Waldo Emerson's daughters, and the main subject of the essay is Alice James, sister of authors Henry and William James, AND it deals with the psycho-social aspects of little-understood illnesses, both then and now. (So much for my fantasy that if I'd been born 200 years ago and been sick then, I would've been much better off because people would just accept the fact that I was sick and I wouldn't have to constantly fight to survive, lol.)
Unfortunately, it bounced almost immediately, so if you're out there somewhere Mr. Frank Albrecht, bless you for your keen understanding of our disease, and what we go through, and just this great essay in general! It truly is a gift!

Oops, I almost forgot the main site link:

For Parents of Sick and Worn-Out Children

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input, input! Tell me what you think!