Friday, October 31, 2008

To Tell, or Not to Tell: A Tale of Secret Identities

I finally made it to one of my local FM Support Group's meetings. I'm happy to report it was a very GOOD experience. Despite getting lost, hitting traffic, taking a wrong turn, and thinking I was lost when I wasn't,all on the way there! (This too, is a new thing. Pre-FM, I was like a Human GPS. I've actually had people close to me get upset with me because I couldn't give them directions; they sincerely believed I was yanking their chains!) Once I got there, late I might add, I was greeted at the door, hooked up with a nice little packet of info, and made to feel very welcome. There was a nice guest speaker on the subject of stress management, and though my attention span was a bit shot, I definitely got something out of the nice semi-guided Meditation/Relaxation at the end. I even got some goodies! A great calendar, and some issues of FM Aware magazine, which I've been hoping to fit into my budget for ages now.

Afterwards, I was approached by some very nice group members, and we struck up a conversation. There's something about being amongst fellow FM patients that just makes you feel safe and let your guard down. I guess it's because so many of us spend most of our lives trying to pass as normal, healthy people, especially those of us in our 20's & 30s. This is what I've been struggling with, especially since I moved to Orange County. It can be hard work, and very confusing at times, especially if you're the type of person to whom lying, even telling white lies, doesn't come naturally. And even if you are the type of person who isn't that scrupulous, Fibro Fog can really get in the way of keeping your story straight anytime you DO fib.even a little!

So I was talking with someone, and this subject actually came up. They mentioned that they were terrified of letting people in their line of work know about their condition, and I totally understood. At my last full-time job, I didn't even mention it. Even when the owner of my company noticed the unusual slowness and stiffness with which I got up off the floor after helping him hunt down some paperwork, I was vague and played it down. (It turned out his daughter had a similar condition, so I might have done myself a favor by admitting what was wrong. Hindsight...)
And my boss, who I ended up sharing an office with, and was quite close with, didn't know, until the very end, by which time everyone was more than a little confused and concerned by my memory problems, lack of energy, and plummeting work performance, and I had no choice left but to explain.

Social life is another place where things get complicated. If you can pull of working, it's not so hard. But what does one say when Fibromyalgia and/or CFS keeps them from working? The inevitable question in social situations always seems to be
"So what do YOU do?"

Most people I know did not grow up with FM or CFS. For me, it hit in my early 20s, and by then I had a very set image of my future. I wanted to be a career woman, be fabulously successful. I believed that if you just tried hard enough, were smart, worked hard, and had goals, it was all there for the taking, and that was the plan. And as for my ideal mate? I wanted someone who fit that description as well. A relationship of equals filled with mutual admiration. At least, that was how the fantasy was supposed to go...

Therefore, trying to figure out who I was without a job was one of my hardest obstacles to tackle. So I kept going back to work, making myself sicker again, and having to quit,take time off until I couldn't stand not being in control of that aspect of my life, and found myself another job I was destined to fail at once it took its toll on my health. Then I finally came to the conclusion that I was banging my head against a brick wall, and that I had to create a life were there was more to its quality and my happiness than working. It was hard work, but I managed. Slowly but surely, I started to feel like a normal person again, part of the world.

And then I had to move, and leave everything behind.

So here I am again.

Laurie Edwards, in her book Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties tells of how one of her friends had a similar problem finding her identity after having to quit working, and her therapist told her something very interesting:

"Your life will now become about your relationships with others."

How true.


So here I am, having to start all over from scratch, it seems. And when you meet normal (i.e., healthy) people, it's really hard, first of all, to decide what to tell them, without totally lying. It can be very stressful just trying to decide what to do, and this on top of making the effort to put yourself out there. Also, if you don't tell them about your situation, then you have to work even harder to keep up the appearance of being a normal, healthy, young adult. (Making the painful decision of whether or not to use your handicapped placard if parking is too far, or risking being seen and found out, for example. Or having new friends think you're a flake for canceling at the last minute. Trying to hide the fact that you're utterly broke...) You have to ask yourself, at a certain point, if it's all worth it. After all, do you really want people in your life who aren't able to accept you as you are?
Is it worth the trouble, with everything else being as challenging as it is?

Of course, if you come clean, that takes some finesse as well. You risk rejection, which could lead to discouragemnt and further isolation. Plus, you have to decide how much information is too much.

In another book I read recently, Living with Fibromyalgia, the author suggests that if you are afraid to let people see that you're ill (which I personally have issues with, I totally panic if I'm in a situation where my illness interferes with my functioning, and I'm around anyone but immediate family or close friends, or not in control of the situation)then you haven't yet really accepted your illness. How's that for something to ponder? I thought it was very interesting indeed. It's funny, I've had near melt-downs over having to be around even extended family members when I was having a flare...yet I have no problem telling them about it! So maybe they were right...I do sometimes feel like I've been busy crusading, trying to get everyone to understand FM, yet on some level, I hadn't fully accepted it myself... not fully...

So, the waters can get pretty murky at this point.
Me, I'm still trying to figure out where the balance is for me.

But for now, it's nice to have those special people in my life, who understand exactly where I'm coming from, and accept me for who I am. Here's to you, my Fibro-Friends!
You are my heroes. Thanks for being there.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, i hate to say I'm in too much pain to sit here and read the whole thing, but its the God's honest truth....My eyes are swimming also, just can't concentrate.

    BUT, I did want to say I'm glad u found a good live support group!! the only one i ever went to, in 1995 after i was just diagnosed (but at 29 I had it for more than 6 yrs) but it was filled with old ladies bitching and moaning, no one was my age or NEAR it.....I was trying to find how to live a positive life with it,not wallow and be miserable....

    Things have certainly changed though as more people have gotten properly diagnosed earlier and at younger ages, thankfully (thankfully for the patient, not that its happening, you know what i mean!)

    I sooo know what u mean about the fibbing too, i used to be able to lie to my parents as needed, and be good at it, now i cant keep anything straight....

    I was just like you, I had a career path, I actually had gotten to a great level at my job, had a very responsible job, a company car, expense account, etc....I was on my way...

    btw, Your fibro fog might even be more than you think....I thought my severe problems with cognitive things was just fibro fog (as well as CS fog, MPS fog, Lupus fog, etc) until i had the neuro-psych tests and discovered I now have a valid cognitive disorder....It might help with your case to have it checked out....

    OK, need to go lay down, will read the rest later, you know i am always interested!

    Hugs!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps....The one thing i learned at that one live support group meeting i went to, do not EVER let anyone at your work know, unless u planned on leaving your job.

    SO F'ing true!

    I made the mistake of asking for a smaller territory and told the Human resources person in confidence. SHe then within a day told my VP, my manager, and i was granted a smaller territory but then they started riding my ass about other things and pretty soon i was on probation....I kicked ass and was Auditor of the month, the month b4 i was let go. They then told me i was fired for the PRIOR calendar years performance (one in which the company's whole totals were down, as was every other auditor)...I was fired end of march, even tho i beat the pants off every other person in the month of feb when i was on probation.

    THEY will ALWAYS find a reason to get rid of you if they know u are sick.

    The job i had when i got the Lupus and Addisons, they knew i had 'severe arthritis' is what i told them...but when i was getting way sicked than i ever was with fibro etc, i was missing more and more work, but then I went to them to say , look im sorry i have been missing a lot of work, they do not know what is wrong with me....well, within a week of that, i was suddenly let go.

    One job in between those two that i had was hired from a temp service, and was still within my 90 day prob, was kicking ass at the job, i liked it even tho the boss was very violent, punching walls etc....anyway, i never let them see my handicapped parking permit, but one day at lunch i was a few miles away from work and i had to use it, and the 3 big bosses saw my car in the hc spot, the next day i was let go for no reason, but i later found out they were nervous that i was sicker than i looked....

    bastards.....

    anyway, as u can see im still sitting here, as i had to read more of ur blog after my last comment, but i am in so much pain now i want to scream, so the rest will have to wait. i cant breathe it hurts so much in my back!

    love and hugs,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I'm trying to figure out how to get that testing done, since that's really my biggest obstacle as far as working. I might be totally on the ball for a couple of days, then totally useless for days. A lot of the time, the change is within a couple of hours, and the more stressed, tired, or in pain I am, the worse it gets. They've got studies to prove it now...I will post a couple of them. I think they'll be really useful, since many people don't think to get any Cognitive testing done, and they tell exactly which tests identify the particular Cognitive Dysfunction found in FM/CFS. Unfortunately, my insurance is really lacking in that area. I went to see a NeuroPsychiatrist about it, she seemed to really get what tests to do, was consulting with my attorney and everything...but she wants payment up front, and with good reason, because it turns out insurance won't cover it...

    About the disclosure on the jobs, it's a tough call. I have a friend who has told all her bosses since she was dx'd, and it seems to be helpful. It's all about balance. I guess the ideal thing is let them know you have a condition,just don't elaborate too much, and still assure them you can do the job. The problem is, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately now, I cannot. Thats what sucks i can never work again, unless i were to do freelance photo work, which i would love. But i was an auditor, and was damn well trained, in a very specialized area of the job. At the time (this was mid 90's for that first one i mentioned) I WAS able to do the job, just not all the driving i had been, thus the smaller territory.... For me, the cognitive thing didn't really hit until like 1998, when i was at an audit and tried to give someone my addr to send further info, and i totally did not know my address. It took me until i got home and saw my address that i remembered it, thougth i was gettin alzheimers! Scared the HELL out of me because back then, they had no "FIBRO FOG" that anyone spoke of (when i was DX, there were a TOTAL of 3 books on the subject of FMS/CFS). Thats 3 total, NOT 3 EACH! It was horrible how little info there was! I was so lucky to have a good doc who recognized what was up and then sent me to a Physiatrist (yes i spelled that right LOL) who actually had FMS himself. I was truly blessed those first couple of yrs. Had good ins, and great docs, and also my job was one where i worked out of my house, so I could get my work done by noon or 2, then sleep....SO i was sooo lucky to have had that kind of job. and did up until 2002 when i was in FL and had to work at a bank for a yr....that was the beginning of the end for me...It took til 2006 for the Lupus and addisons to take hold and make me completely useless....between 2003 and 2005 i did more audits, so i was flexible again, but then the last yr (i took a job as a mgr, where thankfully i had benefits) the job was one i liked even tho i had horrific bosses, and i worked my ass off more than 40 hrs a week....which is what put the nail in the coffin of my work career. I overdid it, i didn't realize how it was killing me literally, i was pushing, happy to be making decent money, having benefits, etc....i would work and sleep , work and sleep...then the dental probs started (something ive since discovered is very typical for FMS ppl, there is even a book solely dedicated to it!) and becuz i had Lupus and Addisons at the time but didnt know it for another 2 yrs, is how i became completely incapacitated, and unable to live on my own anymore. I need a freakin caretaker and it sucks ASS. I am jealous anytime i see someone happily walking along (i used to walk, hike, climb mountains, dance)....and even a shower cannot be done without help, and cannot walk without a cane or my walker.

    J-ppl are gonna start to think im a negative Nellie....LOL you know i always try to be happy, positive and smiley....Im just really feeling it tonight, and trying to relay some of my experiences for people who might stumble upon this.

    BUT...my warnign to everyone, as I have told you SEVERAL times.....DO NOT OVERDO IT! Do not continue to be a Type A, super-overachiever like me!

    DO not push your body. As horrible as it is to have FMS and CFS, if u push yourself, you could very well end up with something much worse, once your body is weakened, as u know from our many myspace support group friends, many of them go on to have potentially life threatening Auto-Immune diseases......

    One thing I wasnt to say to any FM/CFS ppl out there, when i was first diagn, and not until i went to a neurologist, did i ever have a sleep study mentioned. EVERYONE should have a sleep test, if i had been diag with Sleep Apnea years ago when it first started (right along when my FMS started...and then once i was dx, they just sd, oh, a sleep disorder is part of having FMS) well they NEVER did any further testing!

    I HIGHLY recommend to anyone, especially newly diagnosed, in addition to a rheumatologist, you should also see a neuro, and AND ENDOCRINOLOGIST! To make sure something else is not going on, thats how I, after 12 diff drs just trying to find out why my CFS and FMS were going nutso (or so it appeared) and it turned out I not only have Lupus but Addisons Disease, which is highly rare (only 8,000 cases) and can be easily fatal if i did not get diag when i did, or if i miss any meds!

    OK....sorry if was too full of info....LOL you 'kids' are sooo lucky to have so many books and resources at your fingertips these days! I know my life would have been different if i knew what to watch for, what not to do, and also, if i had kept vigilant. I love that about you, J, that you do not become complacent in your dx. I had learned to live with it, i read every single thing i could back in 1995, everything available....but then i just plugged on with life, kept working, being in massive pain, taking what little meds the docs gave (Ultram was new back then, and its all i got other than sleep stuff)...but it wasnt until 2005 when i discovered the myspace groups (i was on myspace a mo b4 i ever thought to do a fibro search) and it was my awesome friends there (u included) that made me realize that what i had become to accept (every new thing that would come up, doc would say, its fibro....so i stopped asking) and it was thanks to myspace support groups that i started asking for the proper tests, and then discovered i had so much more than FMS/CFS/MPS/IBS, etc etc....I had 10 diagnoses for 10 yrs, then all of a sudden, within the next 2 yrs, my diagnoses increased to oer 30 different things! LOL....You should see my med file! I brought about 400 pages to the new clinic im going to, and that was only 4 or 5 docs! I told them it was only the most important ones...

    Ok, shutting up now, more massive pain! sitting her too long and my paws are numb now too!

    Have a wonderful night J! I know things are going to work out for you, you are so smart, gorgeous, and have such a great outlook...Just please don't put too much stress on yourself...things will work out!

    Love u! Hugs!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Input, input! Tell me what you think!